Monday, October 5, 2009

Afraid of your own skin...

(To live in fear of being yourself)

"Sometimes I wish I could just go to sleep and never wake up."
"I hate myself for what I am... for who I am.. for who I love."
"I don't know what this is... I hate myself... look at me."

Self-image problems are a prominent issue in America today, and always have been. Now, I'm not just talking about fat vs. skinny, or tall vs. short. But what about masculine vs. feminine... or the social condition of what is right vs. what is normal? The generalizations of the effeminate male as a "momma's boy" or the masculine female as a "tom-boy" drives the preconceived notion that these traits are only acceptable as children. There isn't really much of "growing out of it" anymore, seeing as children are "growing up" earlier and earlier every generation.

What ever happened to people loving who they are? What ever happened to society accepting those for WHO THEY ARE and not what we want them to be? What makes it alright to tell one man he's "acceptable" because he acts how a "MAN" SHOULD act. Being able to look in the mirror and appreciating who you are, isn't that the ideal goal in life? I mean, theoretically, lol.

(Unfinished)

1 comment:

  1. ITS HARD FOR PEOPLE TO LOVE THEMSELVES WHEN THE SUPPORT SYSTEM THEY COME FROM WAS NEVER STRONG OR EVEN TRIED TO TEACH THEM SUCH A PRICELESS POWERFUL LESSON.

    ReplyDelete